Daily Challenge - April

Followers

Friends


Wickless Candles and More!

Lovely Boutique! Check it out!

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Daily Challenge - Day Nine

Today's Daily Challenge is

A fictional book
-------------------------------------

**Sorry about this post being so late in the evening... My schedule this week and next is a bit different than usual...**


If you have not read this book, get to your nearest book store and buy it!

"A Lesson Before Dying, is set in a small Cajun community in the late 1940s.  Jefferson, a young black man, is an unwitting party to a liquor store shoot out in which three men are killed; the only survivor, he is convicted of murder and sentenced to death.  Grant Wiggins, who left his hometown for the university, has returned to the plantation school to teach.  As he struggles with his decision whether to stay or escape to another state, his aunt and Jefferson's godmother persuade him to visit Jefferson in his cell and impart his learning and his pride to Jefferson before his death.  In the end, the two men forge a bond as they both come to understand the simple heroism of resisting—and defying—the expected.

Ernest J. Gaines brings to this novel the same rich sense of place, the same deep understanding of the human psyche, and the same compassion for a people and their struggle that have unformed his previous, highly praised works of fiction."

I remember reading this book when I was younger (teenager) and loving it.... The story is rich with great descriptions and wonderful characters.... And the emotions it brought up within me, well... you just can't beat a book that makes you feel every emotion and then make you honestly ponder them at the end of it all. 

I don't want to give too much away, but I will say.... Read it! Take the time, work your way through it.... It's worth it!

What book would you choose to share?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So this category is to me what picking a fav tv show was to you Mista, just toooo hard to pick only one or two or three or........
The ones off the top of my head though when I am asked this question are: any Og Mandino, the Work and the Glory and Who moved my Cheese? (if that one can be put under fiction?) Og and the cheese book give me reminders to help me go on in life and work and glory is a nice mix of real history with fiction thrown in.